On all things juicy

This blog is about life as creative process, and how knitting, living, and creating modifies awareness.

Knitting, food and cooking, herbs and gardening, poetry and writing, music, tea, health and awareness, good wine, tarot, astrology and all things witchy: anything goes!

In English or in French (a WIP) - welcome to everyone on my knitting and creativity blog.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Aftermath

Now a bit about me coming to terms with giving birth to this blog. I was obsessed by it since a little while now, besides knitting myself into oblivion. See, I had to attend the christening of my godson, and since I am childless, recently single and on the verge of turning 40, I cannot tell you how much bezerk my biological clock went. I must knit. I think only about knitting. It’s my oxygen. The carrot that makes me go forward, that makes me cope with my workdays, with my long commutes, with my lonely nights spent in front of the TV. I knit like there is no tomorrow, like there is noting else, channeling all this pent-up repressed desire for motherhood in cute wooly little things. It's a phase. Or an addiction. Or both. I'm not sure yet. It does have the upside of helping me cope with my feminine issues, like being alone now and maybe not being able to meet someone in time to have children of my own before all my ovaries dry up like wrinkled raisins.

But I am wandering. All those knitted gifts I was running against the clock to hand out had to be made for past Sunday, for the christening of said godson, Jacob. And despite the knitting frenzy and the many short nights of sleep I failed miserably at delivering half of them. Too big of a bite to chew. Crazy hormones. But what I did manage to finish, a crocheted bobbles blanket and some knitted booties (Céline Barbeau's design available at Effiloché - it is possible to have project oriented tutorials with her also) in funky lime green Regia sock yarn, were cheered and celebrated even though the booties where, as I anticipated, way too small. The blanket got some spontaneous and admirative “oh’s” and “ah’s”. What can a knittin witch ask for more!?

Yes, now with some afterthought, the idea of a bilingual blog seams a bit wacky to the brink of being slightly preposterous. A blog in both languages. Is it viable? Does it have any interest to anyone? Besides me?

Being bilingual is a precious asset. I find no limitations in going back and forth between both languages on the net or in my daily life. I wish it could be the same for everyone, unleashing a world of opportunities and unrestrained access to information. I frequently do the back and forth thing in the same sentence with my bilingual friends. Bystanders curiously listen to our strange lingo and the whole ordeal can make way to pearls that bring tears of laughter to our eyes. Expecially when a duo of little boys aged around 7 and 10 are involved.

Yes, I do know it can also denote a lazy streak. Or being confusing. But it’s not as fun! For starters, I must tell you that I am a francophone from Quebec, so some of my writing may sound funny or not be the best example of classical written English. Stay with me. I strive to get better everyday.

But that’s beside the point, because my main goal here is to make this blog a meeting place where all types of “differences” would mingle and unite in the mutual sharing of people of different backgrounds and/or languages, creating a whole different view of reality for everyone. Call me utopist, call me naive, and call me a dreamer. The shoe fits. You are all welcomed to express your differences with all due respect to the point of views of others. No weathervane calling here. I do not want this sharing place to sink into harsh political debate or brutal flaming. Have a heart. Open up. Great encounters are maybe just around the corner.

While still being scared out of my mind, I decided to jump and give it a go albeit my relatively recent experience as a born-again-knitter and my total lack of blogsperience. I have no assumptions of posing as a reference in knitting (which I am not) or as setting example at being adept at this thing called life-on-this-planet (I am a disastrous klutz). I kinda suck. At both. For now. But I like to knit and I like all things juicy. What can I say!

I am not timid in the face of adversity. I can tackle that! Cables!? Should be a breeze. Lace!? Easy as pie. Have I ever done it? Not really, but who cares if I’m having fun and up to a good challenge! Ok, I will sweat, and swear, and whine and turn my entourage hysterical with my obsessions, but I will strive for as long as my interest is nourished. Until the next little passion comes around to tickle my fancy. Stop laughing at me. You know who you are. See, at least I'm being honest here.

Having a full time job, learning knitting from almost scratch and attending the Stitch and Bitch at my LYS (local yarn store) Effiloché, doing charity work and a bit of proofreading on the side, cooking for and a entire squadron of hungry friends, knitting gifts for my godson, attending a poetry group haven’t deterred me from the idea of this blog. Let’s say that I like to be creative in all forms and ways, using my life as a canvas of exploration. So, in my view, knitting, writing, cooking, all kinds of bodywork, singing and dancing, doing the dishes, you name it, all are expressions of the soul bringing to the outside what is going on on the inside, all the while stating loudly to the whole wide world the uniqueness of who you are, of who I am: a crazy knitting redhead witch using her knitting/writing skills to magically transform her reality. For the better. Or so I wish. I want to explore this avenue with you.

Presently, I am coming down from my knitting high and nursing a cold. Logical: all those too short of a night have taken their toll. So I will make this post short. I can. I promise.

My excuses for my inaugural post done mostly in French. I was delirious from all that knitting under pressure, so I blurted it all out in one epic jot-down session without much second thought. So be it.

I flirted with the idea of posting in my pseudo brand of Franglish, but I will spare you the headache. I don't think it's the best of ideas. Frogs might come out of your mouth without any further notice. I still suck at being a witch too. So I will stick to English. For the sake of keeping the world in balance.

Happy bloging.

french translation coming soon – as soon as this cold lets go of mwoua (à la Miss Piggy) / traduction française à venir sous peu si ce rhume peut finir par me laisser tricoter tranquille

No comments: